Skip to main content

Shukto

Hi friends I am back and this time I want to share with you a recipe which is very common in a typical Bengali household. Infact one can identify a Bengali cuisine with this recipe. It is called "shukto". But the uniqueness of this dish is that the recipe varies from region to region and from families to families. This recipe is usually handed down from one generation to another. I have learnt this dish from my mother. Shukto can be made with one vegetables or many but it's taste would always remain bitter and sweet. Due to its bitterness it is always served in the beginning of our meal . It clears our tongue so that we could enjoy the rest of our meal. Today I would share the recipe of shukto made of many vegetables.
 




 Ingredients :-

Before I start I should tell you that in our household we make this shukto with all green vegetables except brinjal and cut them small approx 1 inch in height.
Karela ( bitter gourd) - one medium size cut into fine ring shaped pieces
Brinjal - 100 gms
Bhindi ( lady finger) - 100gms
Shim or shimphali ( French beans) - 100 gms
Green papaya - 150 gms
Green banana - 100 gms
Muli ( radish) - 50 gms
Drumstick ( optional)  - 100 gms
Vadi made of Urad dal - 50 gms
Bay leaf - 1 medium size
Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
Radhuni ( a Bengali spice essential for shukto) - 1 tsp
Posto or khuskhus paste - 4 tbsp
Milk  - 1 cup
Ghee - 4 tbsp
White oil - 3 tbsp
Salt and sugar according to your taste .

Procedure:-

First heat the pan and put oil . When the oil get heated fry the vadi first and then the karela pieces. Fry the pieces till brown and then remove it and put them aside. Put the ghee and add the bay leaf and radhuni . When the smell of fried radhuni reaches your nostrils add the vegetables to the pan . Add salt and stir them well . Lower the flame and cover it with a lid .After every five minutes remove the lid , give it a stir and cover it. When vegetables starts to soften add the ginger paste and add 3/4 of the milk . Cover the lid and let the vegetables get cooked . When the vegetables are almost cooked add  the khuskhus paste, rest of the milk , fried vadi and karela pieces. Again cover it for 5 minutes . When you are satisfied that all the vegetables are properly cooked add a bit of sugar and sprinkle a tsp of ghee over it  and your shukto is ready .


BON APPETITE!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Tukra

Hello everybody. I thought I would start my blog writing with my favourite passion  food and that too cooked by me. Since I have a sweet tooth the dessert spread of any cuisine attracts me the most.  I always try out the simple ones at home. Today I will share with you all one such recipe . It is one of my favourite sweet - Shahi Tukra. One might call it an Indian version of bread pudding. Although it takes much more effort than bread pudding but the end result is just awesome. Any beginners can try this out because the procedure is very simple. Ingredients For sugar syrup :- 1 cup sugar 1/2 cup water 2 drops of Kewra essence For shahi tukhra :- 4 slice bread cut into four square pieces each 5-6 tbsp oil 1 l milk 200 ml condensed milk 1/2 tsp cardamom powder 7-8 pistachios  cut into slices Method :- First you have to make the sugar syrup by boiling the sugar in the water. Boil it till the sugar melts and reach a mild thick consistency. Add the kewra essen...

Apple kheer

 Hi friends with the festive season peeping round the corner today I want to share a sweet dish with you which I am sure won’t disappoint your sweet tooth . It is called apple kheer . So let’s begin. Ingredients:- Milk - full cream one litre Apple -2 medium size cut small thin slices Condensed milk 1/2cup Sugar - 3 tbs Cornstarch -2 tbs Dry fruits -(almonds , cashew, raisins) -1 /2 cup Cardamom powder -1 tsp Kesar - few strands Procedure:- First take a fry pan, put 3-4 tbs of water and stir the apple pieces in it . Add the sugar in it . Fry the apple till it become light brown . Remove it from pan and strain the excess juice if any and let it cool . In another pan boil the milk . Keep on stirring and add the dry fruit in it . Add the condensed milk and keeping on stirring in medium flame . Mix the cornstarch in 2 tbsp cold milk and add it to the milk while continuously stirring it . Now add the apple pieces and stir it for another 5 mins in low flame . Sprinkle some cardamom powder...

Chicken Dak Bungalow

 Hello friends. This New Year I decided that every month I will share a new recipe that I have tried and has come out good. Today’s recipe is ideal for a cold Sunday lunch or dinner . Its spicyness will definitely keep you warm inside . I don’t know how much authentic this recipe is but I have tasted this kind of chicken curry in PWD guest house where we used to stay during our vacations. The recipe got its name because this was the standard chicken curry made by the caretakers of the sprawling Bungalows used as circuit house or guest house by the government officials. So let’s start the recipe .                 Kg Ingredients:- Chicken- 1 kg Potato - 2 cut into big cubes Egg -4 nos hard boiled Onion -2 big cut into long thin slices Ginger paste Garlic paste Tomato 2-3 cut into pieces Whole garam masala Black pepper corns Bay leaf Red dry chilli Jayatri/ mace  Turmeric powder Red chilli powder Cumin powder  Coriander powder  Yo...