Skip to main content

Christmas Fruit Cake

 In my childhood Christmas was synonymous with rich fruit cake bought from Nahoum . I have tasted many fruit cakes but none of them matches the sinful taste of that fruit cake . Now after I started baking I tried my best to bring that taste but never accomplished it. But I came up with my version of fruit cake which is not so bad . You may try it.



Ingredients:-

Flour 21/2 cup
Brown sugar 2 cup
Sugar 1/2 cup
Egg 6 nos
Oil 11/2 cup
Baking powder 2 tsp
Baking soda 1/2 tsp
Salt one pinch
Cinnamon powder 3 tsp
Nutmeg powder 1/2 tsp
Ginger powder 3tsp
Orange juice 1/2 cup
Orange zest 1/4 cup
Vinegar 1 tbsp
Milk 1/2 cup
Dry fruits - (raisins, cashews, almonds, prunes and truity fruity ) 2 cups
Red wine 1/2 cup

Procedure:-

In order to make a fruit cake one have to make preparations from few days back . We have to soak the fruits in wine and lemon juice . Most of the people soak it for many weeks . I usually soak it for two days . So take the dry fruits, crush the nuts into smaller pieces and along with the orange zest soak it in orange juice and wine . Add the nutmeg powder and add 2 tsp cinnamon powder and 2 tsp ginger powder to it . Mix it well cover it with a clean wrap and put it away in your fridge.




Now after the fruits get completely soaked you start preparing for the cake . Take a bowl and mix the dry ingredients that is the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 tsp cinnamon powder, 1 tsp ginger powder and 2 tbsp cocoa powder. Pass it through a sieve and keep it aside . In another bowl first whip the egg then add sugar, oil, milk and vinegar mixture, orange juice one by one . Then add the flour mixture slowly to the batter. Lastly add the soaked fruit to it . Pour it into well greased pan and bake it for 40 mins in 170 degree. When your knife comes out clean your cake is done. Remove it from oven and let it cool. You can eat as it is or you can pour hot vanilla custard and eat like Christmas pudding.

BON APPETITE!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Tukra

Hello everybody. I thought I would start my blog writing with my favourite passion  food and that too cooked by me. Since I have a sweet tooth the dessert spread of any cuisine attracts me the most.  I always try out the simple ones at home. Today I will share with you all one such recipe . It is one of my favourite sweet - Shahi Tukra. One might call it an Indian version of bread pudding. Although it takes much more effort than bread pudding but the end result is just awesome. Any beginners can try this out because the procedure is very simple. Ingredients For sugar syrup :- 1 cup sugar 1/2 cup water 2 drops of Kewra essence For shahi tukhra :- 4 slice bread cut into four square pieces each 5-6 tbsp oil 1 l milk 200 ml condensed milk 1/2 tsp cardamom powder 7-8 pistachios  cut into slices Method :- First you have to make the sugar syrup by boiling the sugar in the water. Boil it till the sugar melts and reach a mild thick consistency. Add the kewra essen...

Apple kheer

 Hi friends with the festive season peeping round the corner today I want to share a sweet dish with you which I am sure won’t disappoint your sweet tooth . It is called apple kheer . So let’s begin. Ingredients:- Milk - full cream one litre Apple -2 medium size cut small thin slices Condensed milk 1/2cup Sugar - 3 tbs Cornstarch -2 tbs Dry fruits -(almonds , cashew, raisins) -1 /2 cup Cardamom powder -1 tsp Kesar - few strands Procedure:- First take a fry pan, put 3-4 tbs of water and stir the apple pieces in it . Add the sugar in it . Fry the apple till it become light brown . Remove it from pan and strain the excess juice if any and let it cool . In another pan boil the milk . Keep on stirring and add the dry fruit in it . Add the condensed milk and keeping on stirring in medium flame . Mix the cornstarch in 2 tbsp cold milk and add it to the milk while continuously stirring it . Now add the apple pieces and stir it for another 5 mins in low flame . Sprinkle some cardamom powder...

Chicken Dak Bungalow

 Hello friends. This New Year I decided that every month I will share a new recipe that I have tried and has come out good. Today’s recipe is ideal for a cold Sunday lunch or dinner . Its spicyness will definitely keep you warm inside . I don’t know how much authentic this recipe is but I have tasted this kind of chicken curry in PWD guest house where we used to stay during our vacations. The recipe got its name because this was the standard chicken curry made by the caretakers of the sprawling Bungalows used as circuit house or guest house by the government officials. So let’s start the recipe .                 Kg Ingredients:- Chicken- 1 kg Potato - 2 cut into big cubes Egg -4 nos hard boiled Onion -2 big cut into long thin slices Ginger paste Garlic paste Tomato 2-3 cut into pieces Whole garam masala Black pepper corns Bay leaf Red dry chilli Jayatri/ mace  Turmeric powder Red chilli powder Cumin powder  Coriander powder  Yo...